Wednesday, April 18, 2007

'ello, gov'nor. welcome to the dreariest place on earth!

Why go to sunny Orlando when you can get just as much theme park goodness in foggy England? At least the Charles Dickens theme park won't have giant mice running around (run-of-the-mill London rats, maybe). And perhaps the "It's a Small World" equivalent will have haunted-eyed street urchins instead of smiley United Nations children. This has the potential to be great--yet I can't help but feel it's unfair to Scrooge McDuck, who will probably be the first casualty in the anti-Disneyfication movement.

Until I can visit this monument to London's dark social problems, it'll just have to serve as a reminder that I need to read Dickens. Aside from an annual re-read of A Christmas Carol, I haven't read any of his novels since high school. It seems kind of unfair not to have approached him as an adult. I should take this up with my book club....

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Whatever. Still not as bad as the Disney Civil War Theme Park:)

Actually, they should go the other way and overDisneyfy the place. I won't be satisfied unless a 7-foot bear is running around claiming to be David Copperfield.